At least nine people died and 10 got injured after a major fire erupted at Swarna palace, a hotel-turned-coronavirus COVID-19 facility, in Andhra Pradesh’s Vijayawada city on Sunday (August 9) morning.
Sources say that short circuit may be the reason behind fire but it is not confirmed yet. It is learnt that around 30 COVID-19 patients were present inside the building when the fire broke out.
All the rescued people have now been taken to a nearby hospital.
Many fire tenders have been rushed to the spot to douse the blaze. Rescue operations are underway.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered condolences to the families of the deceased and said he had discussed about the prevailing situation with Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy.
“Anguished by the fire at a COVID Centre in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible. Discussed the prevailing situation with AP CM,” PM Narendra Modi tweeted.
The Andhra Pradesh government announced Rs 50 lakh ex-gratia each to the families of those who lost their lives in the fire at a hotel being used as a COVID-19 facility in Vijayawada.
Union Minister G Kishan Reddy said NDRF teams have now joined the local authorities to carry out relief operations. He also offered prayers to the families of the deceased.
“Shocked and distressed by the news of fire at a COVID centre in Vijaywada, Andhra Pradesh. NDRF teams have joined the local authorities in relief operations. Prayers for the families of the bereaved and safety of others,” G Kishan Reddy said.